Thursday, July 10, 2008

Slash Fic: Just Me and the Boys

Okay, I must confess that I started this entirely other website just to write an entry about slash fic. How much do I love slash fic? It's positively indecent. Well, I'm a true believer in all the many many permutations and complexities of human sexuality, so I won't judge myself on this one. But lately I've been trying to make sense of my complete obsession with this romantic fan fiction with a gay love story at the center. Written mostly by, I believe, women, and definitely read by women. In my case, given my Snape proclivity, in my spare time I've gone through quite an amount of the Harry Potter stuff.

I have to say first that I began by surreptitiously taking a look at the heterosexual Severus writing--really Byronic heroish, standard stuff (much of it beautifully written, though, I must say), weeping and gnashing of teeth and a lot of girlish yearning and chilly reception from the Potions Master, culminating in bodice-ripping, tearing off of cloaks and waistcoats, and finally hot sex on the Potions classroom desk...eh, old hat.

But the gay stories were immediately of interest to me. Let me say that there's a ton of them out there. I mean a TON. REAMS of it. Web site after web site, page after page, devoted especially to the erotic romantic entanglements of Severus and Remus. Everybody and their sister and their sister's sister-in-law appears to be writing these. Anyway, these stories are very romantic (the lead-up to the sex is logical and has narrative flow and character development) and VERY graphic. Which brings me to my question: why do I (and apparently many other women) find these gay sex narratives so appealing? In fact, much more appealing than heterosexual written porn?

A first obvious and rather disappointing explanation is that this sort of porn is safe. I mean, women are generally not realized as erotic beings in these stories, so that a female reader can be a bystander of sorts; there's no participation possible even in imagination, and therefore no pressure even imaginary. A gay Severus and a gay Remus just wouldn't be interested in me, LOL! But I didn't like this idea, though--it struck me as too simplistic.

These stories, at least some of them, tend to have a violence to their eroticism (although, even in the heterosexual Snape pieces, there's quite a bit of S & M, some of it really savage, far beyond a humble spanking. That just makes good sense in the context of that character, if I do say so). I don't know if this has to do with a womanly (girlish?) perception of gay sex? Is it a weird way of romanticizing something we're not privy to? Is it accurate? I don't know. But this brings me around to the idea that I like the speculative nature of these romances. The mystery of it, that it's something I can't really ever know about. So being allowed to peek in the imaginary window as it were, on an intimate scene and see not just acts but be given insight into feelings, is an adventure. The fact that these men's emotions are completely fake, and in fact generated by women, is almost beside the point. It's a way of playing pretend, a really super exotic pretend that would be completely off-limits otherwise.

Or maybe, because I happen to like boys like that, it's fun to read about them.

20 comments:

Suzanne said...

Well, I'll be first. Honey, where the hell's the damn post?

Cece said...

Are you sure you aren't the mental patient lady that asked me for money in the parking lot at work this morning? You nut.

Suzanne said...

Oh she's nutty alright. Pickin' out the best taters and trying to navigate three blogs while working all day with bird crap on her shoulder. Hummmmmmmm Oh right, a hole. Didn't she tell us she was't blogging during the day? Liar. I'm getting on a plane THIS INSTANT to help her out in the Adirondacks because I think she might be losing it completely. Oh, and because I need a free vacation.

XO

P.S. Cece...feels like old times over on Brian's blog when he was "busy!" I anticipate the rest will arrive in no time!

Leah said...

I think you might be disappointed when this post goes up, no boobs or butts, but a whole lotta links to the boy on boy porn I'm currently OBSESSED with. But in the meantime I must confess that it was me in the parking lot...

xo

Leah said...

LOL out loud!!!!!!!!!!

Leah said...

Maybe I'll just never post anything and we can hold an Algonquin Round Table right here...

CSI Seattle said...

Actually, this does look like a porn site...cause it's completely naked.

Kookaburra said...

Hmmm. Intriguing!

kylie said...

well, where are the promised links???
i cant comment if i've never read the stuff
and how come this isn't on "the weather...."? it's not like you are trying to distance us from it.
and i feel dumb about asking but what is nc-17??

all i can say right now is that i've never seen this genre but i have read a few variations on erotica and if it's well written it's just beautiful

Cece said...

Boy on boy porn? I watched some girl on girl and some girl on guy porn on T.V. last night after the boys were asleep. But I'm not sure I would share your facination with guy on guy porn. It's "Hard" enough to watch girl on girl porn. It sort of feels wrong, but it intrests me all the same.

Skeeter said...

Wow, that's quite a first posting dear. I've read some Star Trek slash fiction and found it to be strange because I know these characters, you know. On the other hand there are some great stories out there like you describe. Can't wait to read more of your NC-17 posts.

Best wishes,
Skeeter

Suzanne said...

NC-17. Swear to God his is how out of touch I am. I thought, "Oh, she's going to write about kid's stuff!" Yup, that's me!!! I laughted so hard when I learned it was the complete opposite. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh shit.

Look, I'll just state my case right here and then never say it again. Men on men, ladies on ladies. I don't care what people do, as long as like doctors, they agree to "Cause no harm." They don't touch an animal and they cause no harm to themselves or others. I'm serious. I'm very liberal, but also very specific. I don't think ANYONE should be subjected to abuse of any kind. EVER. FOR ANY REASON. Especially those without a voice. So there you have it.

Have fun with this new blog and I'll be back to see what porn you're reading! (I loved Mark's comment..."Interesting.")

My question is what is the difference between erotica and porn? There's the famous quote from the Supreme Court Justice, "I know porn when I see it." Obviously, there's a difference.

XO

Leah said...

I posed the porn vs. erotica question to Sgt. Pepper and he responded that "porn makes money."

Erotica has plot line? Some artistic merit? Sexy art and literature.

And I agree with the principle of do no harm to anyone...that is, to anyone who isn't a consenting, compos mentis adult...

Leah said...

Kylie--I couldn't put up the many links because you have to sign in to the web sites each time, so you guys would have to create an account. I'm sure nobody...but me?...wants to do that...

Unknown said...

Leah! Interesting direction this blog is going...! You write so well that I was compelled to continue on...boy am I glad I did! I think it just that..."since we like boys" we like reading about them!
Hugs,
Robyn

Skeeter said...

Leah,

Can't wait for your next installment! I think Sgt Pepper is right about the difference between erotica and porn ;-)

Best wishes,
Skeeter

Leah said...

Hi Skeeter--my friend just sent me a really marvelous link with an avatar of Kirk in a sexy santa outfit and Spock as a sexy elf. I know, it's so wrong, but somehow...

Suzanne said...

Hi baby. God I love this blog. I'm exhausted. I've been workin' all day around the house and up all last night working the shift at the Cafe in that damn maid's outfit. I need to get a good job, this artist crap has to go.

We added a weaving room at the cafe to repair your sweaters. Haul um all on over in big garbage bags and we'll see what we can do.

We've also started a Yoga class. The guys should approve because they get to watch women do things only gymnists can. Go figure.

Love ya baby. Glad you're havin' fun with this new venue. It's a blast. I've certainly learned something new, oh and something new about all my friends too!!!

XO

Queen Goob said...

See....you're a Snape fan and Lupin is mine. I think the chicks are diggin' the doggie-style thing; that's what I love about Remus. LOL

Leah said...

@ QG: Go Snupin!!!! On further consideration, you're right. The doggy style thing is very, um, relatable...